Saturday, March 17, 2007

what about it

What I was trying to tell you, somewhere between my own self conscious editing and your girlfriends sweeping sabotages, is that I love the mountains. I love them because at least when there's a physical mountain in front of me, I can climb it. I can cuss at it. I can struggle and push and fight w/ it. When there's no mountain, I make one. I make them in my mind or in my heart...those mountains are far harder for me to summit.

I saw those pictures you took, of mountains in far away lands, and my heart cried. I know what I want, and I was momentarily distracted by an invisible view: I want to climb every mountain. I want that huge expanse of blue sky and sharp, fresh air shot in my face. I want the vertigo, looking out over a pass I just spent inumerable hours struggling to climb. I want the mountains, and I want the people who burn for the same. I want those people beside me so long as we seek the same path. Then, to not pretend we share something once we realize we've parted ways. I want my life, as big and open and undefined as those skies. As ever changing, unpredictable and unapologetic as the views. I want the mountains shouting vertical, holding adamant, solid indiference beneath my feet. I want the wind hollering at my chest, "Are you done fighting yet?!?!". I want to stand in the presence of others who can't sit still knowing there is something else in life that they seek to find, to experience, to know. I want to burn, to bask, to devour, absorb and inhale every moment of my life and rest in the moments of hysterical exhaustion, knowing I am not settling. Knowing I am being absurd. Knowing it's soley my insistance that drives me believing I can only find peace on a mountain top. I want to sleep knowing I am pursuing what I love, even when it takes the shape of 500 days rest and 1,000 consecutive feasts of shite filled, cream cookies. So long as it's what makes my soul soar, my heart full and my senses alive. I want my life. I want to live it fully...and, I do not want to fear the richness of being still, of being in love, and of being loved in return. I do not want to overlook the fact that mountains come in many forms and incredible, breathtaking views often appear in the most unexpected places. I do not want to be so focused on that peak and a fantasized view, that I forget the beauty that is standing right in front of me. I do not want to apologize for my reach. I do not want to beg forgiveness for my hunger. I want to be...and be okay with that...all that it entails...

Something like that anyway...that's roughly what I want (which I was not attempting to tell you). That is how I feel about mountains though, and approximately what I was trying to tell you before I caught and curbed myself from spilling dramatic, proverbial guts. As for your hawk-eyed friend, damn. You scored. I'm paying extra for the luxury of icey cold in my room. Only difference is mine has a button I can push to shut it off.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sister,

Where are you? Are you still in Laos? I miss you soooo much and think about you everyday!

We are NOT getting a pug anymore. After a great deal of thought, I decided that Biggie Smalls is enough of a pet for awhile.

When are you coming home? Still in April? Come see me!!!

LOVE YOU!!!

Sarah

Eddie_Digital said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eddie_Digital said...

Ola chica Alisa

first of all i want to say that i really enjoy reading your posts, if you ever decide to make a career change you got my blessings,

by this i want to excuse myself for not beeing able to spell correct and make impressive sentence structures and build ups as you do also no difficult words or intelligent self knowledge, deep stuff, since this is not my native language.
I'm the dutchie remember?
probably not, i understand.
havent had the time or the energy
to write u in lao or siam but you (and ur friend james) have been on my mind.

yep i know we only met for about an hour (dinner in luang prabang) i had the duck soup and i drank your "sang som"

you made a stunning impression girl, first of all i thought you were verry verry cute and i was impressed by your being as you were and traveling on the bike up and down and across azia
you rock.

its funny i dont meet a lot of people like you and i know me i can deffo judge by first impressions, well you stayed on my thought for the last month so that must say enough.

i hope all your journeys to come we be even more exciting than all the last ones, take good care of yourself and stay healthy

big kisses from the low country

Eddie from Amsterdam

ps i had a great holliday but its good to be back

if ever. - spazztic99@hotmail.com

would be great to hear from you

Unknown said...

Hi Lissy,

Just wanted to give you an update. Lilly got yellow bows in her hair today...she looks super cute. I would kinda like to keep her but I suspect Susan would have something to say about that.

The weather is beautiful here - nice spring days.

I am thinking about painting my front door red. Grace and I talked on the phone yesterday - she was playing in the rain...her little laugh is just the cutest thing. Kevin is hanging in there, rough session...but getting ready to go away for the Army :( sad.

Oh and Biggie Smalls is eating garbage in the alley again and yaking it up in the house - uhg - but is of course precious as ever!

I still miss you - LOVE - Sarah

Unknown said...

Been a while darl'n. Been thinking about ya tons...hoping to be hearing your stories live and in person soon over a pint of Manny's at Hooville.

Check out a couple adventures of your friendly neighborhood Sally. Just like you remember...Sally, bikes and beer. And maybe remember what it's like in the PacNW for a spell.
http://www.raleighcommutes.blogspot.com/

Love you.
Sal