Monday, January 15, 2007

Wooooohooooooooo!

I did it! I did it! I bought the bike! I bought the gear! I bought the whole damned store worth of touring and cycling shite, half of which I already have, but it's in Olympia...Washington...USA.
Nevermind, not worth fussing over and didn't I absolutely, perfectly, not plan it this way? Um, ye-ah.

I just rode home in BKK rush hour traffic, racing motorcycles and tuk-tuk's all the way home. I feel like a little kid. And, for all I know, I may have just purchased the biggest hunk o' junk on the face of the planet, but I am in HEAVEN. However, did I mention that traffic runs on the opposite sides of the street here??? Yeah. It does. And anyone who's ever bought new SPD peddals might have a sense of how tight they are when you first put them on...not really smooth or fast to get out of. Yeah. They are. So, me and my cocky little kid at Christmas, nearly smeared myself into oncoming traffic (oops, wrong side), and came close to kissing the sidewalk, all w/in 30 seconds of leaving the shop...but I bought the bright yellow helmet, so they can at least find my head when I've lost it. That's really not even a funny joke, considering what I am about to do. Any spare good thoughts and prayers will be greatfully accepted.

Anyway, $620 later, I have a bike and full gettup for the road. Don't ANYBODY tell me anything bad about ANYTHING just yet. Let me fly high on this one for a while. I am sure I will have plenty to say about it all before it's all said and done. For now, I CAN NOT WAIT to hit the road and it's looking like Burma/ Myanmar, might be a bit more expensive and difficult than expected. Who know, I might be on the trail tomorrow! Eeeeeek!

Okay, two novels in one day. Hope you aren't actually reading all of this! Mmmmmchwa!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey you nut! Happy belated Birthday! And greetings from Umtata where it's easily 100 and humid...methinks I have less pollution but similarly dangerous conditions on the road only I'm smart enough to drive. I'm trying to learn Xhosa which may be like biking in BKK! Be careful on the road, sister. I'll be in touch,

Andi

Unknown said...

You go girl. Have a great first day on the trail...yellow is after all your second best color (next to pink of course:)
I Love You! Sarah

James said...

OK still loving your blog...thanks for the link I will try to figure out how you did that and link you up as well. We passed in the night it seems as I was at the shanti on sunday night but checked out after 1) way too hip as the dreadlockers were swarming and 2) the asshole construction workers that chose to chew up the street out in front beginning somewhere around 10pm and kept working until after i bailed and went to Teawez guest house a few doors down...by the way a way nicer place filled with the Euro set that i prefer over you (and me) Americans!! By the way, the guy who has been travelling for the past 15 years...was he a Brit and cycling who loves China? If so I met him too. Freaking small world. Happy trails and don't listen to your fucking head when it tells you how much it all sucks cuz you could be back in the rain in some lame assed job...and even cycling in the shit that is bkk beats that by a mile. HAPPY TRAILS

James said...

hey butthead,(sorry) just wrote a note on my blog inviting you to a cup of coffee if you are still in bkk. I am at the new siam 2 hotel off of soi rambuttri if you are interested in bike blather come over and leave a note. I won't go over to shanti get all stalky you so let me know...here until friday. peace

parker said...

I am so glad you decided to make this journey. I was concerned when we e-mailed during Thanksgiving. Thank you for including me in your blog (what exactly is a blog anyway???) and I look forward to following your travels! Braver than me!! be safe. parker

SUSAN TULL said...

Hey Alisa, I would really like to tour with you, but my tricycle has a flat and I am also scared of running into an anaconda in the rice fields!!! Catch ya later!!