Saturday, February 17, 2007

Blog This

Sometimes, life is almost too good to be blogged. Honestly, wat (ha ha) a ridiculously dorky way to try and explain what happens in a day: oh, just read my blog, and you'll be right there beside me! Well maybe...but not really...but maybe.

We've made it to Chiang Khong, border town for Th/Laos. Sleeping in a guest house beside the Mekong River (the official border), where we watch life in Laos, taking place a few hundred meters away on the other side. Amazing. 5 days biking, 1 day rest and suddenly looking at the map again, as one goal is accomplished and new ones come into focus. "Last day in Thailand", James announces. No no, just nearing the first day in Laos.

Pardon me, while I wax poetic over my life and current state of existence. While there is the occasional pang of guilt at how incredibly cool I think my life is, I do my best to balance it w/ incredible gratitude and occasionally splurge for humility...oh right Alisa, like your ass on a bike seat for weeks on end hasn't taught you humility. How about those hills and learning how to pack a panier both on and off the bike? Or wait, maybe the new appreciation for what a bunch of bananas really weighs, when you strap it to your bike thinking you are being clever and "local"? No, humility has certainly made it's way into my vocabulary and made itself a fabulous little nest in my ego. We'll be picking out window treatments for my soul next week, stay tuned. But really, I think it's easier to breath this way...and I swear I'm not high.

The last few days of travel have been a continuation of hilarious and absurd adventure. James and I have a similar outlook on our travels, which makes for a mostly laughable experience, though we have nearly polar opposite philosophys when it comes to packing. We walked our way into a noon-time snack at a roadside store yesterday, that had us walking away w/ a little bag of what I think is the local equivelant to chewing tobacco. They pull out this wad of what looks like cow dung (and pert near smells like it). It's layers of some sort of leaf, preserved in a Stevia sweet/olivey brine. You peel off a couple of leaves and pack a pinch of rock salt into it, fold it up and stuff it into your cheek. You chew on it and I guess eventually swallow it, once your cheek has been pickled and you are feeling rather happy about life as a whole.

Being a good MT girl, I of course jumped at the chance to cram a wad of chew into my mouth, only to realize that it was more of a "guy thing". James salvaged my honor by stuffing BOTH of his cheeks then proceeded to flex and make rapid peddaling motions w/ his arms, demonstrating the super hero effects of our new found substance to abuse. The whole lot was in stitches, while I withstood another line of gentle chastising from the grandma in the bunch, regarding my skin in the sun and traveling as a female.
"Stay close to your man", she motions w/ her hands and rattles on in Thai.
I love that I can have an entire conversation w/ people and not understand a word of the language, but the point is undeniably clear.
"You two are together, yes?"
"Yes. Of course. This is my husband of 5 days. We're tight. Oh and very much in love, right Honey? Honey, umm, what was your name again?"
So yeah, never a dull moment.

Once we rolled into Chiang Khong, we were met w/ the fabulous fortune of having a bike club and team sponsor, at our finger tips. The guest hs where we crashed, is owned by one of a handful of avid cyclists in the area, who sponsors big, international cycling events ea. yr. He and his "brother" (family is an increasingly broad spectrum term), have turned out volumes of maps, rt. directions, lodging and play by play commentary on terrain and side trips for Laos. Once again reinforcing my deepening faith in not planning a damned thing. Why bother? Just aim straight at what you know you want to see and be in and let it happen! It's amazing to me how much I think I don't know what I want and then take 30 seconds to look at a map or think about my options, only to discover I know EXACTLY what it is I want to do. And here I am, doin' it! Yeeeeeeeehaaw! Giddeeeeup! Did I mention how cool I think my life is? How funny is it that I think that might come accross as arrogant? Yeah Lis, you really need to be thinking your life sucks. How dare you actually enjoy your existence. Oooooh, shame shame...yeah, shame this.
James informs me that he thinks I am one of the most irreverant people he knows. I think myself oh so mild compared to many of the people I know, but take great pleasure in the notion that I might rank so highly in a realm that I have so much appreciation for. Mind you, I think James is completely irreverent and absolutely juvenile in his private rebellions against society and accepted norms...did I have to pick a damned mirror to travel with? His favorite mantra is "They do NOT want to hit me", as he takes the entire road to weave his way up a mtn pass or even just play w/ the wind in his paniers...God help me as my inner tour guide erupts from deep within. Do I just kill him so I don't have to watch him get killed, or do I gently suggest that he pick a frickin' lane, maybe even recommend the LEFT HAND side of the white line (remember we ride reverse here, I'm not trying to recommend traffic). My preferred response: adjust my helmet so the sun visor blocks all sight of him, and then I don't have to watch. Brilliant. Just like my theory on politics...which isn't working.

Anyway, tomorrow, Laos. Two days and one night down the Mekong to Luang Probang. I can hardly wait, and it could could take all the time in the world. Life is good. Really good. And though I know it's inevitable that my contentment will turn to agiation and have me screaming back out onto the road, I am loving being here and that feels awesome. I have no idea what Laos has in store, and now China is looking possibile again, depending mostly on visas and time, etc. Who knows?

For now...Take me to the river! Wash me down! Won't you cleanse my soul! And put my feet back on the ground! That and Tina Turner's, Proud Mary are my soundtracks for the moment. I'll spare you the rest. Mmmmmmmchwa (that's a kiss) to you all.

P.S.
I had a great conversaton w/ a fellow traveler the other day about US politics. He turned me onto something called PNAC-Project for a New American Century. If the name alone doesn't give you the creeps...I am putting a link up for the home page. Wondering if anyone else has been looking at this??? I'm still wading through the main publication, but this guy made it sound like the Bush Admins, "Mein Kamf". Creepy? Oh that's an understatement. Let me know what you think.

Love love love.

4 comments:

James said...

The fact that my entire two last blogs are about the pain of hills and heat... and you don't even think to mention them makes me hate you even more!!! grounds for divorce dammit

Unknown said...

It's really quite entertaining to read about your 'civil' union! If only James had asked, I could have told him you'd kick his ass to some other continent and back again. You're my hero, Lis...keep it up, baby. And I'm not riding with you until the END of the season!

Unknown said...

seester, I miss you soo much. I read James post about you, of course I do agree you kick ass! LOVE YOU!!! Sarah

Unknown said...

p.s. darling, I must say as both your political advisor and your older sister - stay away from PNAC and get your donkey back on!