Saturday, February 10, 2007

MHS Loooooooop!

Oh my Gawd, Becky...
So here I am in Mae Hong Son, sitting at the computer waaaaay to late in the day to be feeling inspired for bike riding, but here's the best part: I'm staying in this dodgey little guest house, where my next door (and I do mean next door. the man sneezes and it sounds like he's in bed w/ me!) neighbor is Colin, from not Europe, but Britan, and don't confuse the two.

Colin, my very interested and enthusiastic 40 or 50 something bachelor, has a foot fetish...and WON'T quit staring at mine when we talk. If you've ever looked at my feet, you know I don't spend a whole lot of time on them. Yeah well, Colin has been making the same observations for me over the last 12 hrs. "Your heels need a bit of cream, and what's that you've done to the top of your foot?" refering to the constant rub-spot from my flip-flops. "How is it that you've just taken off your socks and shoes, but the bottoms of your feet are still dirty?" Well, Colin, it might be because I walk around barefoot all the damn time,and happen to be wearing the same pair of socks I've been wearing for the last three days, want to smell? Dirty, motor bike obsessed old man.

Anyway, Mae Hong Son, a.k.a GHETTO FUNK. So do not need to spend another night here, but hit a headwind yesterday pulling into town that cooled my enthusiasm for tackling the loop counter-clockwise. I had a feeling I might run into this. So, now, as always I am reconsidering my rt. My new favorite passtime ends up being a cup of coffee or a meal, while spilling over my maps and imagining the possibilities. Ultimately though, it's still just getting up and climbing on, pedaling away one stroke at a time. WoooooHoooooooo!

I made it to the other side of the mountaing chain I've been crawling in, yesterday. Made a side trip to Mae Lana, and oh my Lord, hills w/ grades my brain doesn't comprehend. But I rode em'! Yeah! Well, the first half anyway. Managed a taxi to get out and after the ride yesterday, so glad I did. I am nearly though my first set of break shoes in two wks of biking, if that says anything.

So, all is well. Can't seem to decide whether I want to make time and distance or take it easy and enjoy the inevitable adventures that unfold from being in a place for a few days. The N. is beautiful and they have great coffee. The Hilltribes are everywhere, both on tourist display and just livin' life. I prefer the latter, and get a lot out of just pedaling in the hills where they work and drive like bats out of hell, flying past me laughing or giving thumbs up to the crazy "fa-lang".

All in all, life is good and the adventure continues. Trying to catch up w/ fellow cyclist. James for a little Loas touing. We'll see how that plays out. Love to all.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love reading about your trip sister! Sounds like you are doing well. Kevin and I spent last night at Boulder Hot Springs - it was fun, but my throat feels a little funky today. Miss you lots - steer clear of the foot fetish types (take it from your big sis!) LOVE, xxxooo - Sarah, Tebin and Biggie Smalls

rajasika said...

Wheweee! Sounds like an amazing loop. Took me a while to get my gmail account set up so I could post comments. Hope you are well. We just finished men's group weekend of kick ass back country skiing! Hard to imagine when contrasted with the lush green hills of your adventure.

Thinking of you on this Valentine's Day with love and appreciation.

Dad aka "The Raj"